Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Author Interview: Megan Hart

Writers & Soundtracks interview: Megan Hart

Tell me a little about yourself and your writing.
My name's Megan Hart, and I write a erotic fiction for Spice and erotic romance for Amber Quill Press and Black Lace books and also...Avon Red! Wow. My list is growing!

Tell me about the story that you've created a soundtrack/playlist for.
I make playlists for every book. Sometimes they overlap. My most recent playlist is for SWITCH, a novel I'm writing for Spice. It's about a young woman who finds a note in her mailbox that's supposed to be for someone else. More notes arrive, misdelivered, and each becomes progressively more erotic. She passes them on to the rightful owner, but discovers she really enjoys the contents.

What is your playlist, and why did you choose these particular songs?
The playlist is too long to recreate, and songs are added all the time, but a sample of the songs that "best" fit the story are:

1. "Whatever it Takes" - Lifehouse: there's an ex involved in the story, and he tries to win her back by saying he'll do whatever it takes.

2. "Sorry" - Buckcherry: Again, a theme of apologizing for past mistakes and trying to make amends

3. "Empty Chairs" - Don McLean: there's a line in it that goes "I know you said you'd go but until you did, I never thought you would." Fits the story, too

4. "It Ain't Me, Babe" - Johnny Cash and June Carter: it talks about how they're not right for each other

What does music mean to you? To your writing?
I have to listen to music while I'm writing. The perfect song can set the entire mood of the book. It helps me get into the right mindset -- when I put on that playlist, I'm in the story. And later, when I look over past playlists, just listening to one of those songs can take me back to where I was while writing that story.

What kind of music do you like to write to?
All kinds, everything from classical to heavy metal.

If this story was made into a movie, who would you want to do the soundtrack?
Hmm. Well...the only musical soundtrack composer I can think of off the top of my head is Christopher Lennertz (he did the Supernatural soundtrack) and I guess I'd like him. :)

Anything else you'd like to say about music and writing/creating?
My ipod and iTunes and music are integral parts of me and while I *could* write without them, it wouldn't be as much fun.


Thanks, Megan!

To learn more about Megan, check out her website!

Don't forget to check out next week's interview, when we chat with Darin Bradley.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When it comes to music and writing, she sounds a lot like me.

Thanks for transcribing this!